Saturday, October 08, 2005

Recreating the magic taste - could be

Since I can't get L&P in the states, the next best thing is to try to recreate the taste. I had a few bottles I was able to acquire recently. While drinking it, I tried to recreate the taste using several different blendings of common store bought items. Then I would taste my trial recipe against the real thing. To no avail. When I drink it, it tastes more like lime to me than lemon. It has a snap to it, so I tried mixing ginger ale with lemon, then lime, then both. The true taste keeps alluding me. I would be happy if I were even close, but nothing was.

I did find the following on the internet that takes time to make so I have not had time to try. Some day soon, I will try and report back on its success. I have my doubts because L&P is carbonated. This is not. Anyway, the recipe is from the following link: http://www.rettsyndrome.org/rebecca_hulst/recipe.htm

Real lemon cordial
6 lemons
1.8kg sugar
30g tartaric acid
30g citric acid
60g Epsom salts
2 litres boiling water

Grate the rind from the lemons and then squeeze the juice.
Dissolve the sugar, tartaric and citric acids, and Epsom salts in boiling water.
Mix in the grated rind and juice.
Pour into bottles.
Before serving, dilute with water to taste.
Note for New Zealanders: My Grandfather's family lived in Paeroa. Grandpa told of how his Mother would send him over the fields with a billy to collect water from the local spring to mix with this cordial. The original 'L&P'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home